Learn how to activate a NetSpend card, whether you can activate it without an SSN, and steps to follow when activating your card online or through the phone.
NetSpend is a popular financial company offering prepaid debit cards. It provides its customers with a reliable alternative to checking accounts with prepaid debit cards from Visa and Mastercard.
There are many advantages of using NetSpend, such as faster transaction completion, no credit check, and cashback. However, you must activate this card before using it for various transactions.
Once NetSpend has produced your card, they send it to the address you give. Therefore, you have to be precise when giving details about your address.
After receiving the card, activate and load it with the funds for various uses.
There are several methods of activating the Netspend card. You can activate the card online at www.netspend.com/account/activate or over the phone using the Netspend phone number. These methods are tested and trusted to be fast and convenient.
This article describes how to activate a Netspend card and everything needed to activate your NetSpend card online or through the phone.
Steps to Activate NetSpend Card Online:
- Step 1: Visit the NetSpend official website
- Step 2: Select “activate a card.”
- Step 3: Type in your credit card number, your date of birth, and the expiry date.
- Step 4: Enter your card number as it appears on the front of your card and the security code provided with your card.
- Step 5: Select ‘Continue’
- Step 6: Next, Log into the portal with your user ID and password.
- Step 7: Once done, you have successfully activated your NetSpend card.
That is how you can activate your card in a nutshell, but continue reading below for a more in-depth step-by-step guide and alternative options to activate your NetSpend VISA Prepaid Card.
How To Activate My NetSpend Card?
After you’ve placed an order for your NetSpend card, it takes 7 to 10 days for it to hit your mail. The card comes with several activation instructions to help you get started. You can follow those instructions and activate your card with ease.
Before activating the Netspend card, you must provide crucial information such as your social security number or SSN to Netspend. According to NetSpend terms and conditions, you must provide a government-issued identification number for identity verification purposes. Federal anti-terrorism laws and insurance regulations require this identity verification process. It helps NetSpend protect your account from fraud.
Therefore, provide every other personal information, including your driver’s license number, address, and Social Security Number. Your full use of the NetSpend card may be restricted if your identity is only partially verified. Once you have these documents in place, you must follow these steps to activate your NetSpend card.
1. Activate NetSpend card online
You can activate your NetSpend card online at www.netspend.com/activation. This is the official NetSpend website that allows for DIY activation.
You must have the following requirements before you start the activation process. Have your NetSpend VISA card information such as the visa card number, routing number, and security code.
You also need the NetSpend login details before proceeding with the online activation. The security code CVV is a three-digit code at the back of the card.
Here’s how to activate a NetSpend Card Online:
- Visit www.netspend.com/activation or the official NetSpend website
- Find a link named “activate a card.”
- Click the icon or link at the top right-hand of the homepage.
- After the page loads, enter your card number as it appears on the front of your card and the security code provided with your card.
- The security code is a three-digit code found at the back of your card.
- Click “Continue” to receive confirmation that your NetSpend card is activated.
Next, you’ll have to log in to your NetSpend account using your username and password associated with the account. If not, you’ll need to create an account by providing all required information, including government-issued identification and number. Once done, you will have activated your card and made it ready to use at any point in time.
2. Activate NetSpend Card using the mobile app
Activating via a mobile app is like activating your NetSpend card online.
You will need to download the Netspend app from the relevant site and open it to activate your card. Either scan the quick card response (QR) code or enter the card details manually when activating.
If you choose to enter the card details manually, provide the card number and security code of the Netspend card. You need to use the details you provided when registering for your card.
This information will help determine if you’re the actual owner of the NetSpend card. Sometimes, you may need to answer a few security questions to safeguard your card.
3. Activating NetSpend card over the phone
Don’t worry if you are running out of time and desperate to activate your debit card. You can easily activate your card over the phone if you can’t activate using a site or app.
The phone activation process is a quick way to get the activation through because you allow an expert to do it for you.
So, call a customer service representative at NetSpend to activate your card over the phone.
- Dial the NetSpend customer service number 1-866-387-7363
- Select “activate new card” from the menu options.
- Next, provide the card number on the front of the card and the three-digit security number on the back of the card.
- A customer service representative will ask for your card number, the security number, and information that will confirm your identity.
- For example, they will require your address, date of birth, driver’s license number, and government-issued identification number.
- They will then activate your card and make it ready to use.
- Once you’re verified, your NetSpend card will be ready to use.
However, this number is not available 24/7. Phone service is available from Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. This card activation service is available during the weekend from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Therefore, arrange for the right time to call your customer service for activation.
How to activate a NetSpend card without SSN?
Some people ask whether it’s possible to activate your Netspend card without SSN. The answer is no; it’s almost impossible to activate your card without a Social Security Number. It’s almost impossible to activate a Netspend card without SSN.
The company requires that you provide a government-issued identification before getting any activation online.
This government-issued ID number signifies a legal way to gain and activate the card. In most cases, your social security number is the preferred government-issued identification to activate the Netspend card.
However, some people may be uncomfortable sharing this personal information with NetSpend.
If that is the case, the only loophole is to find another legal identification number to activate a Netspend card without an SSN.
If you don’t have a social security number, you can activate a NetSpend card if you provide an Alien registration number in place of an SSN.
Netspend will use it as your official identification to activate the card.
How to activate a NetSpend card under 18?
If you bought a NetSpend Visa card and can’t activate it because you are under 18, have a parent register it in their name.
Just ask a parent to register your card, and you are ready. NetSpend allows using your parent’s government-issued identification number, commonly known as social security number, to register a NetSpend card.
Alternatively, get an SSN even if under 18 and use it to activate the card.
How to activate NetSpend Visa Prepaid Card
NetSpend Visa card works for you if your credit ratings don’t quite qualify you for credit card approval. However, you won’t start using the credit card before approval. You can activate your card online or by phone before it’s ready to use. You can also get a NetSpend mobile application on your phone and follow several simple steps to activate your card.
When you receive your NetSpend Visa card in the mail within 7 to 10 days after placing your order, it will have activation instructions.
The online NetSpend activation process entails
- Visiting netspend.com and
- Clicking the “activate the card” icon located at the top right-hand page.
- It will prompt you to enter your card the number of the security code provided with your card once the page loads.
- Click “Continue,” and you’ll receive a confirmation that the NetSpend visa card is activated.
Alternatively, you can use the telephone NetSpend activation process.
- Call NetSpend at 1-866-387-7363 (1- 68-NETSPEND) to activate your card.
- A customer service representative will ask for your card number, the security code, and any information to confirm your identity, then activate your card.
You can also activate your NetSpend card via the NetSpend mobile application.
- Open the NetSpend app on your phone and
- Enter the details of your card, such as card number, security code, expiry date, and CVC code.
- Follow all the prompts until you confirm your identity and activate your card.
- You’ll have to verify your identity to activate the card regardless of the method you use.
If you like the convenience of using a credit card to pay bills or make purchases, a NetSpend Visa card may work for you.
This is a prepaid card which means you can use it after adding funds to your NetSpend account. We’ve explained how you can activate it with ease of mind. The two methods are through the Netspend website or dialing a phone number.
Each of these methods is fast and convenient to activate a work permit card, and you don’t have to pay any fee to get a Netspend card.
Consider calling them if you can’t activate your card using a website or mobile app.
You can then visit a NetSpend reload network location to fund your NetSpend card and start using it.